Household waste and recycling centre vehicle permits



If you have a large trailer or a commercial vehicle designed to carry goods, you need a permit to use the household waste and recycling centres. 

Permits are free for households in Cornwall and you can use them at any of our household waste and recycling centres. Please note that we cannot accept trade waste.

The following rules apply:-

  1. We issue one permit per household.  If there is more than one vehicle at your property, you will need to decide which one to register.
  2. Your property must be Council Tax registered.
  3. The permit allows you 12 individual visits per year to dispose of household waste
  4. Your permit is valid until all 12 visits have been used.
  5. You can apply for a new permit if you have used up all your visits, and you permit is at least 12 months old.
  6. You can apply for a new permit if you have changed your vehicle or lost your permit

How do I apply for, renew or replace a lost vehicle permit?

Please check the vehicle table below to see if you require a permit and read the terms and conditions of our Vehicle Permit system before you apply.

Apply for / renew / replace vehicle permit

You can also apply by downloading an application form. Alternatively, you can call 0300 1234 141 to ask us to send you an application form.

If your application is approved, your new permit will be issued within 14 days of receipt.

Do I need a vehicle permit?

The list below shows which vehicles are allowed at the household waste and recycling centres and whether they need a permit.

Vehicles that need a permit aren’t allowed to bring trailers on site.

Trailers are measured on their original internal length, even if their internal dimensions have been adapted.

VehicleAllowed on sitePermit Required

Car- including estate cars

Car logo




Freelander logo



4x4 with open back or separate cab

Ford pickup logo



Van under 3.5 tonnes

peugeot van logo



Van over 3.5 tonnes

large van logo



Any van/pickup with any trailer

peugeot van with trailer



A car/4x4 with a trailer under 1.8m (6 feet) internal length

small car with small trailer



A car/4x4 with a trailer between 1.8m (6 feet) and 3m (9.8 feet) internal length

freelander with large trailer



Horsebox under 3m long

small horse box



Trailer or horsebox over 3m long

large horse box



What if I change vehicles or move house?

If you change vehicles, send us your original permit along with the details and registration number of your new van or trailer. As long as your new van or trailer isn’t over the size limit, we’ll issue a new permit for your remaining visits for the year.

If you move house, let us know using the contact details on this page.

Do I need a permit for a hired vehicle?

If you’ve hired a van for seven days or less, you don’t need a permit to use it to bring household waste to a household waste and recycling centre.  You’ll need to show your hire agreement to site staff and complete a form to say you only have household waste.

If you’ve hired a van for more than seven days, you need a permit.  Ring us on 0300 1234 141 for details.

Why do I have to complete a trade waste disclaimer?

If site staff aren’t sure whether your waste is household waste or trade waste, you will be asked to complete a form to say you only have household waste.